DOK Film Market
All of the festival’s competition titles and the films of the Kids DOK programme were included in the 2023 DOK Film Market, another 120 films with international appeal were exclusively selected. These came recommended by the DOK Leipzig Selection Team or were curated by our partner organisations or presented by renowned sales agents.
The 2023 partner selections included:
- Croatian Audiovisual Centre
- East Silver & Institute of Documentary Film
- EFM Doc Toolbox Programme
- Focus on Israeli Docs, in partnership with CoPro.Screen by CoPro Israel
- Krakow Film Foundation & Polish Docs
- New German Short Films selected by AG Kurzfilm
- Swiss Shorts recommended by SWISS FILMS
- SWISS FILMS & Visions du Réel present
- Taiwan Docs, Taiwan Film and Audiovisual Institute
- Yangon Film School
The Film Market provides filmmakers and rights holders the opportunity to promote their film(s) and grab the attention of distribution partners, buyers and festival programmers.
*Please note: The Film Market selection is exclusively available to Film Market badge holders. If you want to register for a Film Market badge, please reach out to film-market [at] dok-leipzig [dot] de (film-market[at]dok-leipzig[dot]de).
Please contact: Roland Löbner
film-market [at] dok-leipzig [dot] de (film-market[at]dok-leipzig[dot]de)
+49 (0)341 30864-1091
You want to submit your film to our online library? Read all about how to participate and what the Film Market has to offer in our FAQ:
Who can view films in the online library?
- Distributors and sales agents
- TV/VOD buyers and commissioning editors
- Festival programmers, curators, cultural institutes and exhibitors
- Funding institutions
- Film school/university lecturers
The online library with the 2023 selection is still available to Film Market badge holders until 30 April 2024. Accreditation for the upcoming 2024 edition starts in June. Please contact film-market [at] dok-leipzig [dot] de (film-market[at]dok-leipzig[dot]de) for any questions.
What kind of films are eligible?
Films must have been produced within the last 12 months. They should have unique access to their subject, a critical point of view and have an outstanding aesthetic quality.
Submissions to the Film Market 2024 will be accepted starting from 15 February.
What does the DOK Film Market participation include?
- Availability of your film(s) to buyers and festival programmers via the Film Market Online Library for six months starting with the first day of the festival
- Promotion of your film in the Film Market Online Catalogue with its own page including film still, synopsis, credits and trailer
- A festival accreditation for one representative, 50% discount on one additional festival accreditation
- Access to the online Industry Guide with profiles and contact details of decision makers and festival programmers
- Opportunity to register for Film Market Consultations with experienced industry experts, online prior to the festival or onsite in Leipzig, to get advice on your festival, sales and distribution strategy
- Online access to your film’s screening report including evaluations, comments and contact details of viewers
How do I submit my film to the DOK Film Market?
Please use the festival entry form that will be available from 15 February 2024 to submit your film to the DOK Film Market. If your film is selected for a competition, you can choose to include your film in the video library free of charge.
DOK Film Market selects more titles with international appeal from the festival submissions.
Please indicate in the submission form if you would like to be considered also for this selection. You will receive a confirmation letter if selected.
If you don’t want to submit your film to the festival selection process but only to the DOK Film Market please write to us until 30 August 2024: film-market [at] dok-leipzig [dot] de (film-market[at]dok-leipzig[dot]de).
Want to know which films are selected for DOK Film Market 2023?
Review the film selection of 230 documentaries and animated films including trailers:
How much is the registration fee and when does it apply?
All films selected for the festival are included free of charge. For all films exclusively registered for the DOK Film Market, the following registration fees apply:
- Feature-length film (more than 39 min): 180 €
- Medium-length film (up to 39 min): 160 €
- Short Film (up to 10 min): 140 €
All prices excluding VAT. If applicable, 7% VAT will be added.
A festival accreditation for one representative is included.
How can I best promote my film and meet decision makers attending the festival?
We recommend to prepare your attendance in advance. Get informed about DOK Industry events and networking opportunities on our website. Explore who will be attending via the Industry Guide and request meetings with professionals you wish to meet. Book a slot at DOK Industry Helpdesk for more information and advice.
Why is marketing important for my film and what can I do?
Our aim at DOK Industry is to connect you to other industry professionals, encourage knowledge and experience exchange, learn from each other and to create space for inventive distribution and marketing strategies.
We highly recommend to attend and take maximum advantage of the DOK Industry offerings to capitalize the marketing and promotion and thus distribution possibilities for your film.
Every film needs its own marketing and distribution strategy in the rapidly changing industry landscape, experimentation and leaving the beaten path is the best way forward.
Is the premiere status of my film affected if it’s presented in the DOK Film Market?
No. Films that are only available in the DOK Film Market and not part of the festival programme are not open to the public, therefore you don't risk to lose any premiere status for your further festival strategy.
What DOK Film Market is not:
DOK Film Market is neither a trade show with sales stands nor a pitching forum. The films are exclusively available to be viewed via the Film Market Online Library for a period of six months starting with the first day of the festival. DOK Film Market offers a platform to rights holders to promote their films among buyers and festival programmers, but no sales guarantee.
Funded by the European Union. Views and opinions expressed are however those of the author(s) only and do not necessarily reflect those of the European Union or the MEDIA sub-programme of Creative Europe. Neither the European Union nor the granting authority can be held responsible for them.